I brought my seed things with me to my parent’s house this last weekend, thinking they’d be a good out of town project to work on. I felt proud for remembering to pack them since typically I am really good at forgetting things. My pride quickly vanished as I realized that I had forgotten the acrylic coat that keeps the little guys preserved (or at least that’s my hope). But bringing them still ended up being a good thing. I found out that the plastic bread bag I keep the non-coated seeds in is not, in fact, the best way to store them. Turns out they had begun to get dry and brittle. Shocking, I know. I thought for sure this is how all museums store their artifacts. So yesterday I coated a big chunk of them and worked on day 36’s project.
I knew that I wanted to do some more drawing on and stacking of the seeds, but wasn’t quite sure what I had in mind. I began laying out the seeds, gluing them down and then pulling them off. I glued a few more down and realized this thing was screaming to be a moth – which I like.
I became interested in moths a few years back when I learned about how one species in Britain had evolved to adapt to its polluted environment. The one I created is so content with itself; I don’t see it evolving anytime soon.
3 x 7” Seeds & ink on lid
This work available for purchase at https://www.etsy.com/listing/101434913/winged-mixed-media-3d or email me at email@example.com