I like business envelopes. They are boring on the outside but have really fun, often red or blue, patterning within. Yesterday, at the end of a full, full day, I began cutting shapes from old envelopes I had collected and laying them out on a page. Once I settled on a something I liked, I added geometric ink design and broke up the space using line and color. Day 14’s resulting image, like many of my others, plays with the juxtaposition of geometric and organics shapes.
I’m currently reading James A. Michener’s Hawaii which was suggested to me by my mom. As she described the book, I wasn’t real sure it was going to be something I’d be into, but it has been. Two nights ago I got to the 663-ish page range (this is a long book) -the point when the bubonic plague visits the islands. This got me thinking about the horrible disease. I wanted to see what the bacteria look like that causes it. As I came across pictures it dawned on me that bacteria and cells at the microscopic level are always so lovely. You could be looking at examples of the most dreadful diseases or bacteria or who knows what and they always seem beautiful. I have a friend, in fact who framed a few gorgeous cell pictures for her house.
I decided I’d do my own version of cells and bacteria using watercolor and ink. The 11″ x 15″ painting is not a specific representation of any particular cell or bacteria – just some imaginings of them.
Goal: To create one work of art each day for 365 days in a row
For more than a little while -about three years, actually- I have been meaning to take pictures of two ink drawings, which I finally got around to yesterday. As I was taking the glass out of one frame in order to get a reflection free image, the construction paper I had used to temporarily back the work fell out. A once black piece of paper was now showing its age where the sun had bleached perfect rectangles and straight lines. It was lovely and it beckoned to be used in day eight’s project.
I painted a 22.5″ x 16″ canvas, applied acrylic coat to the paper and began painting and adding other cut paper. The geometric imagery at the bottom was much busier initially, which was really distracting, so I painted a good deal of it away. As for the color, a brown palette is not one I’m real chummy with, but I wanted to keep the bleached paper basically unchanged so thought I’d give it a whirl.